Sunday, March 27, 2016

Go Outside!

"Go outside and play", this was the direction given by my mother daily when I was growing up. I know I'm taking the risk of sounding like grandma but, back in my day, we played outside. A lot. 
I spent the weekend enjoying some warm sunny weather, and it got me thinking. Being outside is good for the soul. It clears your mind and it feels wonderful to fill your lungs with fresh air. 

I worry my students don't spend enough time outside exploring, discovering nature, just being part of something bigger than themselves. I want them to come in with dirty knees, with cuts and scrapes, filthy hands, and a body that's tired. They should be digging in the dirt and finding bugs. It's not beach weather here in the northeast, but it is spring. It's the perfect time to get outside. I may not be interested in looking for bugs, but I love taking a hike, a walk around a lake.  Dusting off that bike in the garage, filling the tires with air, and taking a spin around the neighborhood sounds like heaven. When I was a girl I used to love that feeling of almost flying when I was on a swing. It makes me smile just thinking of it.  Being outside is great for kids, but it's also great for adults. The stewardess tells us every time we travel. Take care of yourself first, then you'll be able to care for the young. Now that spring is here let's make a decision to go outside and play. A lot.


Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

12 comments:

  1. Being outside truly is great for the spirit. It doesn't matter what mood I'm in...as soon as I get outdoors all my worries fade. I want my kids to experience that. I want all kids to experience that! I used to take students for walks for counseling sessions when I worked at a residential facility and the kids loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being outside lifts us all up!! What better place to have a meanigful chat than on a walk.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I totally agree! Some nights in our agendas, I simply write "Go outside and play!" The kids get a kick out of it! I love the reminder to take care of ourselves first - I often have a hard time doing that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, We always need to be reminded to take care of ourselves first.

      Delete
  3. I loved this post! I agree that our kiddos aren't getting outside enough! I am not an "out-door-sy" person, however, I LOVE spring time! Great idea about having writing prompts for recess!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I agree! Kids should be free to play and enjoy socializing! Not many play outside in my neighborhood when they get home. I think recess is so important! But this pollen is killing me and my son though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was growing up we all stayed outside until the street lights came on. None of us had organized sports or activities. it was awesome!

      Delete
  5. Great post!! I agree....we try to get out as much as possible. Love the writing prompts too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree! Yesterday I took my daughter and her friend to the beach, and it was amazing how it brightened up my day. It reminds me that I need to get outside every day to be more productive. So important for our students, who don't get to make that choice for themselves...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the beach is my absolute favorite. All my worries seem so small the second I have my toes in the sand and my eyes off in the distance.

      Delete