Saturday, February 20, 2016

Text Dependent Writing in Kindergarten.

Text dependent wrtiting in kindergarten, is that even a thing???
Yes, Your kids can become text dependent writers when you use non-fiction topics. I find even my youngest learners respond well to non-fiction text. In my district it's all about text dependent writing. We want to the kids to not only write about what they're learning, but integrated that knowledge. Seems daunting, I know, but it CAN happen.

If your district uses the  common core you'll have to figure this out for your kids.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.W.K.2
Use a combination of drawing, dictating, and writing to compose informative/explanatory texts in which they name what they are writing about and supply some information about the topic.
I've spent some time trying to figure out how this works with kids who are just learning to write.  I think the key here is the kids "use a combination of drawing, dictating, and writing to compose informative/explanatory texts."
My kids really respond to visuals so I've created a tabletop writing rubric. 

They respond well to the "directions". I have kids who want to write about their ideas, which is great for "writers workshop" but this is different. They need to respond to specific information. Remember, this can be accomplished through drawing. With a little bit of practice, your kids can become more adapt writers.

I like to keep track of my kids writing, and I keep some work for a portfolio, but often they want to bring their work home-who can blame them!! So a quick trip to the copy machine and a copy of this rubric helps fill their portfolio.


If you want to download these rubrics for free, check my store. 
Here's our most recent non-fiction writing; All About  Owls. 


Best of luck, please comment  with your experience.

2 comments:

  1. This semester my first graders will spend a long time (like a whole six weeks) writing an informational text book. It seems like a daunting task in the beginning, but becomes my student's favorite activity. It is one that they would work on all day if they were allowed. We place our books on display in the library and have an author come to speak to our kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds awesome! What topics do they write about?

      Delete