Monday, June 27, 2016

My top 4 reasons for using Google Drive in kindergarten


What's the best way to integrate technology in a kindergarten class? Is kindergarten too young to start with Google Classroom?
My top 4 reasons for Going Google.

1. More and more districts are going 1:1. I see so many administrators purchasing chrome books, and I pads. I remember just a few years ago when no one in my school had an I Pad. Now they are in every classroom. We may not be 1:1 yet in my school but technology is becoming more and more abundant. 
                                           


2. It's paperless!!!! Yay, yippee, halleujah, no more long lines at the copy machine. I can't tell you how many lunches, and planning periods that have been cut short because of that dreaded line at the copier. Not to mention everyone's most feared phrase - paper jam!
Just think you can send homework, notes to parents and worksheets all digitally. No more lost papers. No more mountains of papers.

3. It's so much easier to differentiate. Even the youngest learners can see their work just doesn't measure up to the child next to them. As the saying goes...comparison is the thief of joy. Once kids start comparing their work to their neighbors they begin to see themselves as "less than". Less than! In kindergarten, sad but it's true. When you use technology the difference between students is less obvious to the kids. But for the teacher it becomes so much easier to adjust work for our struggling learners and increase the rigor for our more confident learners. 

4. Kids will take risks with technology that that just wont when using a traditional strategy. We all achieve more when we push ourselves out of our comfort zones. That great researcher Vygotsky taught us about the zone of proximal development. We all strive to hit that sweet spot with our students. That moment when it's no longer easy, but it's not too hard. We should all strive to push ourselves- kids and teachers alike.

Check out my video that shows how to Go Google



Unable to display content. Adobe Flash is required.

If you're ready to give it a try check out my best selling Google products.


6 comments:

  1. I would love to do something like this with my 3rd graders. I have 4 computers and I'm hoping to get 4 Chromebooks from donors choose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it!!! There are great Google products for all ages on TPT. Good Luck!

      Delete
  2. If your kids have a lot of technology at home, it would be cool for kindergarteners to read on camera - sight words or a book, depending on their level. What a great memory for parents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point! You can easily video them with an iphone and text it to parents. Thanks

      Delete
  3. Hi Della,

    I am a fellow kindergarten teacher, and I think what you're doing with technology in your classroom is AMAZING! I love how much learning they can do through computers and iPads. I do, however, have some questions. I have 5 computers in my classroom that I try to get the students on everyday. One challenge I face every year is the student's abilities with using the computers. I can image that iPads would be more kindergarten friendly, but I don't foresee my classroom getting iPads anytime in the near future (we just purchased new laptops for the computer labs which are not easily accessible). I always want to do more on the computers, but I also don't want to lose too much time by teaching them how to use computers. How do you teach the students in your classroom to use technology and how long do you usually spend teaching them? Also, managing the technology: If your students are working independently, what happens if a student clicks something incorrectly and loses whatever they are working on?

    - Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing such great knowledge with us. Looking for some more information from your blog.Take a look at Top 7 Educational Gadgets To Buy For Your Kid

    ReplyDelete