Monday, August 15, 2016

Need new ideas about what to do with your I Pad?



So you just got some new I pads, now what? Are you looking for something new to do with your students?  What’s the best way to embrace new technology in the classroom?

Have you heard about Boom Learning?  It. Is. So. Cool.  No more printing, cutting, or laminating. I love bright and shiny new laminated centers just as much as the next guy, but let’s face it, it can be a lot of work. Boom Learning is awesome. You can use it on your I pads, chrome books, laptops, pretty much anything that has a screen. 


It is a new platform that uses teacher made resources for your students. The students access “decks” which are basically digital task cards. Boom will give you reports about how many the kids completed correctly and how fast they finished. Each child in your class can work on the same deck or on different decks. This is a perfect way to differentiate in the classroom. All the kids can be working on Boom and they can all be working on different levels. Because in 30 years of teaching I have never had a class where everyone is working on the same level.

So you can get to Boom here, and this is what you will see. 

You’ll need to sign up for a membership so they can keep your records. There are different levels; Starter is free and it’s a great way to start to look around Boom and see what it’s all about. If you teach in elementary school you’ll probably want the Basic level, it costs $5 a year and you can add 80 students and make decks for your students. You’ll also get 500 points which is worth $5 which can be spent buying decks other teacher authors have made. If you want to check out what I  have made, here’s the link to my store.
Here's a sample of what is available. 





The decks usually cost 10 cents a card. So if you buy a deck with 24 cards it will most likely cost 240 points or $2.40.  Once you have an account you can add your students. I teach kindergarten so I add all my kid’s names to my class and give them all a password.  Each student gets a cute little animal face.  They use that to log in.

You can assign different decks to different students. When they sign in they go to their assignment tab and get to work. Once they are done, you'll be able to access their reports. The reports give you the number of correct answers and the time it took to complete the task. 


Check out my store and preview the decks so you get an idea what this is all about. You can get started with a free membership and play around with creating decks, or upgrade and have someone else do the creating.

Please leave a comment and let me know what you think. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask. I love Boom and I think you will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment